My "answers" based on what I've gathered from the mailing lists/forums
over
the past 6 months + my reading of the DDA.

On Jul 6, 8:51 am, Chister Nordvik <cnord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if we only could get Google to confirm this...
>
> Spotify - free in the market, but you have to be a subscriber to use
> to program. OK

Apparently. "Naturally" subscription based apps (whatever that means)
seem to be an exception to the DDA.

> Program A - free in the market, but to access premium content you have
> to be a registered user on a website which charges you monthly through
> a credit card. OK?

OK, as long as you do not advertise the premium content or the website
in
the app.

> Program B - free in the market, but to access premium content you have
> to buy access with PayPal in your application. OK?

Not OK.

> Program C - free in the market, but to access premium content you have
> to buy access with a credit card in your application. OK?

Not OK.

> I can understand that Google wants to prevent developers pushing out
> free apps that will only prompt for a credit card/PayPal account to be
> able to use, but if some of the features are free then maybe it's
> allowed?

By my reading of the terms, generally not. My reading of the terms
essentially
means that the Android Market is useless if you want to sell products
without
using Google Checkout (either because you don't want to or - like me -
can't).

Think of it this way - any time your payment scheme tries to use the
Android
market for marketing purposes while avoiding using Google Checkout
(and
thereby "cheating" Google of their 30%), you are most likely in
violation of the
developer distribution agreement for the Android market. Makes sense,
doesn't it?

Regards,

Michael A.