You must have either an outdated, slow computer or a very bad network
connection, if you find looking up faster in "Java in a Nutshell" (a
fine book, though). I have had no such problem with the online
reference, yet my connection is average DSL, my computer slightly
below average memory and CPU speed.

Also, I have to disagree that the online reference is "not very good".
True, I have found some APIs woefully underdocumented there, but I am
very pleased with the amount of effort they put into documenting the
most fundamental APIs -- though I went on record in one of these
Google Android groups complaining about the strong appearance of
contradiction in the reference concerning Activity Lifecycle.

BTW: the Sun Java reference left many things "not explained very well"
too, especially those changes Sun must have been embarrassed to make,
such as deprecating Thread.stop(), Properties.save() or replacing AWT
with Swing; they just could not bring themselves to admit that to
explain the new ways well, they had to admit the faults of the old.

An even more glaring failure to explain in the Java docs concerns the
entire HTTP functionality of java.net: almost everyone uses the Apache
classes for this instead -- with good reason. Apache's
(org.apache.http) really is much better.

So no, Java's online docs are not superior to Android's. They just
have different faults. Once you get used to Android's online
reference, which I hope you will, then you will see they are not so
bad. This is a good thing, since there really is nothing else
comparable.

That said, there is one alternative I have long considered exploring:
Motorola's documentation for their own spinoff of the Android SDK:
Motodev Studio for Android. You might give that a try. Their
documentation might please you more.