I could really use some help on this. I have not provided any code, as
I'm hoping it is something more abstract, like limitations on the
preview size vs. what the camera sees. But for what it's worth:

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
        android:orientation="vertical" android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="fill_parent">

        <my.Package.mySurfaceView
                android:id="@+id/myView" android:layout_width="wrap_content"
                android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
</LinearLayout>

the surfaceview is almost equal to the camerePreview.java code from
the examples: the 1.5 version, not the 2.0 version with the
"getOptimalPreviewSize" code.

I can't seem to put my finger on why there is more information in the
shot then i see in the preview :(