> mp.setAudioStreamType(2);

You should be using a constant here from
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/media/AudioManager.html
, I'm guessing AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC

Additionally, do you even need to set this?

Finally, try using
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/media/MediaPlayer.html#create(android.content.Context,%20android.net.Uri,%20android.view.SurfaceHolder)
. It should do the same things you're doing basically, but perhaps
not.

Cheers,
Justin
Android Team @ Google