freeMemory() is only really accurate immediately after a GC cycle.
You can call gc() to force a GC cycle, but it's a little expensive,
and many platforms (don't know about Android) ignore the call since
it's so often abused.

Better for you to find out the partition size (don't know how you do
this on Android but it may be a parameter you specify in your app's
config parms) and then subtract off what you know to be your
"overhead".