I am not talking about the tab icon - the tab background is defined as
a few different images, e.g:

android-sdk/platforms/android-4/data/res/drawable-mdpi/tab_focus.9.png

These files can change between versions and carrier implementations,
so if you want something constant you'll have to define it yourself.

In fact if you look in
android-sdk/platforms/android-8/data/res/drawable-mdpi/

you'll see both tab_selected.9.png and tab_selected_v4.9.png one of
which is light, one dark.

So I'm guessing if you want the v4 version your targetSdkVersion
probably needs to be v4.

Hope that helps.