I'm "porting" an app that I've supported for many years on PalmOS PDAs. In that world, the user runs a Windows program on his PC that creates a PalmOS database file, which is then Hotsynced to the handheld for the PalmOS app to use. For Android, it should work in a similar way, with the user periodically updating the database on the Android device by regenerating it on his PC.

So far, I've made the conversion on the Windows side to generate an SQLite database and can use "adb push" to transfer it to the emulator, where I've verified that I can run queries on it using the sqlite3 tool, etc.

What I'm unclear on at this early stage is how the file transfer can be accomplished with an actual Android device. These files can tend to be rather large, so perhaps the SD card would be a good place to put them, but in any case I'm unclear on if there is any built-in or automated way to transfer files from a PC to an Android device. My users tend to be non-techy people and I can't trust them to manually copy the file to the correct location, if that's even possible.

Another thought I've had is some way to store the converted file out in the "cloud" somewhere and then have my app retrieve it from there.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be appreciated!

 Doug Gordon
 GHCS Systems