sure we can modify our application for using smack. we can even modify
it for working without XMPP. but i doubt it wont last long. and i
think smack is not a small / light weight library. we use smack in our
application's server side anyway:  a bot which logs into GTalk network

by the way, did you modified smack to use it with android ? can you
make your application start with android boot so that incoming
messages are not lost even if user did not manually started the
application. old GTalk api was making it trivial with intents.

r a f t