Unfortunately yes, this only seems to work on the emulator. We had to
break down and buy a G1 (as well as a two-year plan) so we could
realistically get our software tested and released. It would be
interesting, though, to see if you could install the email program on
the emulator. If you do, you might want to post it to help some people
out.

Good luck!