On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Mark Carter <mjc1...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I want a simple way to reach out to a market that is likely to be tens
> (hundreds?) of millions of users in a couple of years' time.
>
> I see lots of tablets out there that don't run Android Market but run my
> app fine (unless I enable LVL, of course).

I think we can assume that Market will be on tablets.  Tablets that meet the
compatibility requirements, of course.

>  However, I'm more interested in the Chinese market.
> Looking at it another way - I spend loads of time working around
> device-specific issues on devices that HAVE passed CTS, so what's the
> difference?

Ummm...  an order of magnitude, I'd say. :}  Honestly, I don't think you
realize how much is being done to keep the devices consistent for developers
via CTS, CDD, and the Market.  When you get outside of that, it's going to
be a whole lot more crazy.

> Let's suppose a non-CTS device is released and it breaks loads of apps in
> the Market. Then people won't buy that device. So the more popular devices
> will probably be sufficiently compatible.

I don't think that is so clear.  Most users who paid for their device see it
working fine.  They install your app.  It breaks.  Who do they blame?  Most
likely your app.

Anyway, this is a pretty theoretical discussion.  Going through the work of
implementing a Market-based payment/licensing system for stuff not acquired
through the Market is significantly lower on our priority list than many
other things.  It would be much better to use that time on improving market,
expanding the supported countries, developing more support for device
configurations, etc.

> It's not about cutting out the Market - Google has done that by not
> supporting paid apps in all but 13 countries. It's about giving devs a
> licensing solution to sales made to users who cannot purchase paid apps
> through the Market app (either because the Market app does not exist or
> because their SIM card has the wrong country code).

Yes, so expanding the supported countries would be good.  I don't see how
one can imagine that dedicating the resources to some generic licensing
solution (which is completely different than the current one since it
couldn't be tied to the user paying through market but something else) would
be a better use of time.

In fact, other people already have such things on other app stores.  Why not
just use them?  What would Market give you here at all?

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.