> All copy protection systems have two parts - something they bind to,
> and the obfuscation that makes it harder to rip that binding out.

This is basically correct, if you assume that things like encryption
are bundled under the umbrella of obfuscation.

> So there are obviously two ways copy protection schemes get cracked.
> One is that the binding is removed - the obfuscation wasn't good
> enough. That's what was being done in the recently published tutorial.
> In that case there was no obfuscation at all!

This isn't true.  If you look back at the article on AndroidPolice
proguard was used on at least one of the applications.  Furthermore,
my contention has been all along that code obfuscation is not going to
protect apps all that well.  Manual LVL modification might be able to
make it difficult for "auto-crack" scripts to remove LVL without human
intervention, but I think that regular old obfuscation is going to not
be very effective.

> Obfuscation is the only thing that will improve this situation! The
> two pronged attack is split down the middle - LVL makes obfuscation
> your problem and preventing illegitimate licenses being vended Googles
> problem.

Again, my contention is that something stronger than obfuscation is
needed to lock the APK down.  OS-level APK encryption support in
addition to license verification.   I would like to see us get to the
point that users must choose to root the phone (similar to Apple) in
order to use pirated apps.  Better yet, users must root the phone and
in so doing remove the legal ability to access some desirable piece of
software.

I realize that it's easy for me to rant on about what I want, and very
difficult for Google to strike the right balance between open and
lucrative.  My fear at this point is that we're establishing a culture
of piracy on Android that is going to be difficult to turn around.

Dave