Is this the guide you are talking about?
"To ensure the security of your application, particularly for a paid
application that uses licensing and/or custom constraints and
protections, it's very important to obfuscate your application code.
Properly obfuscating your code makes it more difficult for a malicious
user to decompile the application's bytecode, modify it — such as by
removing the license check — and then recompile it.

Several obfuscator programs are available for Android applications,
including ProGuard, which also offers code-optimization features. The
use of ProGuard or a similar program to obfuscate your code is
strongly recommended for all applications that use Android Market
Licensing. "

Is this a guide?