I've come to the conclusion that we really can't trust the values on
the Developer Console for total downloads and active downloads. Here's
why:

First, I had my app out as a beta version for a little over three
months and it got up to 12707 total downloads. After that, I put
version 1.0.0 as a different app and discontinued the beta version by
unpublishing it from the market so that it doesn't show up anymore.
Occasionally, the total downloads for the old unpublished app has
changed by a few and is now down to 12703. How can that happen?

Second, I have a paid license key for my app on the market. I've been
keeping records daily to watch trends (why can't the console do this
for us)? Anyway, my total sales figure right now is 584 paid
downloads, while my active downloads of that paid app is only 452 as
of two days ago. If I add the number of cancelled purchases (71) to my
paid purchases (584), I end up with 655 which is more than the 639
that the console shows. I know that the console doesn't update as
frequently, I've gotten about 10 downloads per day over the last few
days, so that would mean the console is off by more than a day.