In some cases, your application doesn't even have to know. Android
uses the proper xml file (landscape or portrait). If these are
different, the presence of ui elements will tell you what's happening.
If your app just fills and listens to elements that are not null, you
don't care what orientation you're in. Of course, this doesn't go for
all apps.

just my two cents.