I'm designing an android app which will need todo the following steps:

   1. user pushes a button or otherwise indicates to "synch data".
   2. synch process will use REST web services to move data to and
from the server.
   3. the data will be stored locally in a sqlite database.
   4. the synch process should provide status updates/messages to the
UI
   5. the user should not be allowed to wander off to other parts of
the application and do more work during the synch process.

The first time the synch process runs, it may take 10-20 minutes.
After the initial synch, less data will be transferred and stored and
I expect the process to take 1-2 minutes or less.

I've been doing a lot of reading about android's AsychTask and various
examples of using a Service ... But I don't fully understand the
design considerations and trade-offs of choosing one design over the
other. I currently have my demo project stubbed out using an
AsychTask. After watching (most of) Developing Android REST client
applications:
http://code.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions/developing-RESTful-android-apps.html#
I'm left confused the design patterns described here feel overly
complex, perhaps because I just "don't get it" yet.

Would love to hear from some more experienced android developers out
there who have already wrestled with these questions.