Your point that they are 'orthogonal' is a surprise, and could use
more elaboration. After all: from the Javadoc on AsyncTask, it sounds
like the whole purpose of it is for one purpose only: to set up easy
communications between an Activity (the normal owner of the UI main
thread) and a worker thread. Nothing about Services, which often have
no UI at all. So why would anyone use it with a Service in the first
place? Or are you proposing using it only for Services that have
already been created on the main thread, and using AsyncTask to
immediately switch to the newly created background thread to do the
bulk of the work of the Service?

And yes, IntentService is very useful. I am surprised that it doesn't
get more attention in either that online documentation or the
beginner's books for Android. It seems to me that many of the examples
using Looper/Handler or AsyncTask could be done more simply with
IntentService.