Mitush suggests that I enable usb debugging.

That gets me a lot closer. Now I can see the apps work on the phone.
(HURRAY for baby steps) In fact they even remain installed, when I
disconnect the phone from the development environment. Which is pretty
great, however the exported .apks still won't install over the air or
from the sd card.

I'm slowly working my way through tutorials for signing the apk. I'm
interested in how to use the adb shell app. But it seems redundant to
the debug option, and I know that eventual users won't be installing
that way... so I may set that aside for learning on another day.

I still have a hard time believing (based on what I've read) that
signing the .apk is the step that I'm missing. More when I figure out
how to do that...

In the meantime... I'm still looking for suggestions about what else I
might be doing wrong.