As Kostya obliquely pointed out, it is onPause() that should be
called, not onStop(). There is the natural pair: onResume() and
onPause(). If you are in the Resumed state, you should expect the
phone to call onPause() before it ever calls onStop() (as it will when
the Activity goes invisible).

Theoretically (that is, according to the strict wording of the
lifecycle document), there are exceptions (onPause is killable), but
they are very rare. Even on my memory-starved phone I have always seen
onPause() called first. Many Activities will have nothing to do for
onStop() anyway: serious data saving should have already been done on
onPause(). But if you are using a BroadcastReceiver unique to your
app, then you would unregister it in onStop().