My current app development is stalled due to Issue 11967 (http://
code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11967) and I'm thinking
about the best way forward.

One approach is to download the ExpandableListView source and debug
the problem. But there is evidence from the API that this
implementation is messy and anyway I'm not sure how much of the
framework I'll need to download in order to find the problem. On the
other hand, fixing the bug would be a friendly thing to do for the
Android community and would eventually mean the code was supported.

So my first question is, has anyone had experience finding and fixing
bugs in the Android framework? How hard is it to set up and how clean
(and commented) is the code?

Another approach is to re-implement ExpandableListView using more
primitive elements in the framework. I did this for the nearly
unusable GridView and I'm very pleased with the results. However, I'm
on my own to support the code unless I want to lobby Google to create
a new class in the Android framework. Otherwise, if my private
UberGridView doesn't work on some device, I won't have the resources
to fix it.

So my second question is, if I go to the trouble to re-implement, how
hard will it be to graft the new UberExpandableListView class into the
main code stream so that it will get used and tested across lots of
devices? Has anyone been close enough to a case of this happening that
they can comment on the barriers to entry?