On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 18:18, Bret Foreman <bret.fore...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One approach is to download the ExpandableListView source and debug
> the problem. But there is evidence from the API that this
> implementation is messy and anyway I'm not sure how much of the
> framework I'll need to download in order to find the problem. On the
> other hand, fixing the bug would be a friendly thing to do for the
> Android community and would eventually mean the code was supported.
>
> So my first question is, has anyone had experience finding and fixing
> bugs in the Android framework? How hard is it to set up and how clean
> (and commented) is the code?

There are a bunch of blog posts scattered about the internet that
explain how to link the Android SDK source to the jars in Eclipse. I
can't remember if I used
http://android.opensourceror.org/2010/01/18/android-source/ or not,
but it looks pretty similar to what I did.

I've done some digging around in Gallery and its friends to find and
work around http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11771 in
my own code, but I mostly read the source to figure out how the
framework works.

> Another approach is to re-implement ExpandableListView using more
> primitive elements in the framework. I did this for the nearly
> unusable GridView and I'm very pleased with the results. However, I'm
> on my own to support the code unless I want to lobby Google to create
> a new class in the Android framework. Otherwise, if my private
> UberGridView doesn't work on some device, I won't have the resources
> to fix it.

Given that any bug fixes probably won't get to the majority of
existing devices, you're pretty much going to have to treat the bug as
if it's a permanent "feature" of any version earlier than the next
major release that has the fix. If you base your code on
well-documented APIs, you should be fine -- it's no different from
writing any other kind of custom view.

--J