So I give in. I approached this problem as an oh hey that's not too
bad, I can write a bunch of unit tests, and I have been keeping my
suite green. However as things get more involved continuous
integration and testing is a great great thing to have. And then I saw
oh Android has emma integration as well awesome ... and then that's
where it get's iffy.

So I setup Hudson and have it call the coverage target of the ant
build.xml that the android executable in the sdk can generate. And
then it hits me.

adb -s <emulator> shell am instrument -w ...

will never return a result code that is not 0 ... because adb
technically exited cleanly and usually will regardless of how the
shell command that executed did.

So again I say, Oh that's not too bad, I can just wrap adb with a
parser that parses output for errors and return a non 0 resultcode to
fail my build if a test fails. Problem is then I also want to see what
tests fail. I know eclipse is doing something smarter so I dig deeper
and find the extra switches you can pass am instrument including the -
r flag.

adb -s <emulator> shell am instrument -r -w ...

Now this is starting to get complicated as the output gets more
complex and this originally thought simple task is getting more
intense. As this SDK is maturing more I have to think, someone has
endured this pain and made a kickass way to automate and report on
these sdk tools and output. Like something complete with performance
test tracking, code coverage reporting etc. These outputs all exit in
the SDK but they just have to be adapted to the tools used outside. I
have to think after a year or two this adapter(s) has to have been
written. However I have only been able to find blackbox testing
frameworks and not anything along the lines of regression test suite
automation of the whitebox sort.

Any suggestions welcome.