By the way, Romain, you bring up a good point regarding ANRs. And it's
not going to help splitting my work up into small groups of operations
because a busy CPU might make one group of operations last long enough
to trigger an ANR. Instead, I need to break the work into time slices
so that the runnable never spends more than X mS working before
yielding to the UI. That poses an interesting problem. Any suggestions?