That's what I thought. But why is the UI state then not entirely
cleared?

But I found the following difference though doing some more testing -
I found there's a difference whether the activity is in the foreground
or not when I do the kill:

Case 1)
I start the facebook app, I am on the login page, enter a username
(but don't submit), then I switch to the Terminal app on my device
(thus, the FB activity is not in the foreground anymore), then I kill
all facebook processes (which I see via 'ps'), and restart the app
(via home long-press, selected recent). The username is still there!

Case 2)
I start the facebook app, I am on the login page, enter a username
(but don't submit). Then I kill the process via PC (adb shell), while
the facebook login screen is still in the foreground when I do the
kill). When I execute the kill command, I can see the FB activity
getting closed on the device. When I then restart the app (via home
long-press, selected recent), the username on the login screen is gone
- as expected.

Why is there a difference whether the application is in the
foreground? How to clear the UI state of activities that are not in
the foreground anymore?