I think it depends on the amount of state, the complexity of the app, and
how persistent the state is supposed to be. Saved instance state is a good
place to start. In the Android activity model, you don't really "exit" an
app. So unless the user does a force stop, the activity will be able to
restore the state via saved instance state. The advantage is it's easy to
implement, no need for files or DB. Shortcomings are data is lost on force
stop, and I suppose update. So the question becomes what persistence does
the game state need for various lifecycle events, such as:

rotate screen, onPause/onResume, force close, update, uninstall, etc.

You also may need to address how and when the game state IS reset.

hth