This is not about the hanging/freezing of your UI, but not using a
listview for your articles may pose another problem. If you have a lot
of articles to show, the number of children (i.e. TableRows) may
become too large and you'll get UI problems (UI too 'wide').

ListView get around this problem because they re-use the list-item
views (by calling the list-adapter's getView(...) method and allowing
to re-use a contentVie (list-item view)).