On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM, jotobjects <jotobje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The docs say you can use an "http:" uri, which is not quite a
> "specific real URL" in the way I guess you intend.
>
> http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/g-app-intents.html
>
> Is your advice in conflict with that page in the docs says about
> browser intents?

Not really.

If you read that page, you will notice the following words in a really
big font, towards the top of the page:

"Intents List: Invoking Google Applications on Android Devices"

You will notice that the fourth word in that is:

Google

Google is a company. They have written *a* browser. They have not
written *every* browser. The documentation on that page, at most,
documents what Google's browser does.

You are assuming that your unusual interpretation of that document is
somehow binding on every browser developer.

I am advising you to think practically. The point of browsers is to
browse pages. The point of browsers is not to somehow fail gracefully
when you hand it clearly preposterous crap in an Intent, such as a URL
that violates Internet standards. It is reasonable to expect all
browser applications to successfully browse a page, at least for
fairly bland pages. It is unreasonable to expect that all browser
applications will support your intentionally-flawed Intents.

The only thing you are likely to reliably do with an arbitrary browser
is hand it a legitimate URL, one that follows the specification for
some legitimate protocol (e.g., HTTP). That's just reality.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books