On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Stephen Lebed <srle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It turns out that the device has a menu button in the status bar, and
> the user wants me to not display my app full frame in order for him to
> access it.  I wonder if devices without a dedicated menu button will
> be a major issue in the future.  I really don't want to design my app
> with a title or status bar showing unless its necessary.

Well, in general, showing the status bar is a good idea for most
activities. Games, video players, camera apps, etc. are reasonable for
hiding the status bar, but users frequently like to know signal
strength, notifications, battery life, what time it is, etc.

That being said, I'll be somewhat surprised if Google relaxes the MENU
button requirement from the Android Market CDD. In that case, the
question then becomes how popular non-CDD-compliant devices become and
how much overlap there is between those users and users of any given
app. For example, if non-CDD-compliant devices become popular in Asia,
that would be a problem for many apps, but less so for ones targeting
a US audience, for example.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in London: http://bit.ly/smand1 and http://bit.ly/smand2