Thanks for the response.

In my test harness, I do 'button.performClick()', which itself calls
activity.finish().

According to docs...

"If an activity is paused or stopped, the system can drop it from
memory either by asking it to finish (calling its finish() method), or
simply killing its process."

So I would expect onDestroy().

I'm going to trace through (without the test harness) and see what
actually happens.

There still remains the question - how do I know onPause() was called?
Ideally I need a callback, or a way of querying the activity for its
state.

Any help appreciated

Ian Hunter