The next-to-last argument to db.update is the WHERE clause, but without the WHERE (look it up in a SQL reference).

So while in SQL you'd write "WHERE SwitchName = value", with db.update you need to use "SwitchName = value".

The last argument is used supply variable values to the conditions. This is more efficient as well as safer. Each value in the last argument (which is an array) replaces one "?" placeholder in the condition.

The entire statement might look like this:

sampleDB.update(SWITCH_TABLE_NAME, args, "SwitchName = ?", new String[] { oldSwitchName} );

-- Kostya