I have a Samsung Galaxy S (retail European version), and can confirm this.

GPS only works immediately after it's been restarted by switching it off/on in phone settings.

After a while (can't give exact duration, but somewhere between a few hours and a few days) it stops working. This affects all applications: Google Maps, GPS Test, etc. The device just never gets a GPS fix, and the GPS "antenna" icon in the status bar never appears when it should.

From what I understand, there was supposed to be a hotfix for this, but it got steamrolled by the 2.2 update.

Greg: you might want to test your code right after restarting GPS on the phone.

-- Kostya

08.12.2010 21:34, Mark Murphy пишет:
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Greg Giacovelli<miyamo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>  To be clear we saw the same phone, Samsung Galaxy S Epic, install the
>  app and each one may or may not get stuck in this really nasty state.
>  Basically the overall GPS system for the OS gets frozen, even maps
>  can't get a fix after it gets in this state. Enabled providers don't
>  seem to be the issue as they have both GPS and network locations
>  providers enabled on each phone.
I am not sure what to tell you. It feels like a device-specific bug.
Unfortunately, with neither of us having one, getting a reproducible
test case will be...troublesome.

--
Kostya Vasilyev -- WiFi Manager + pretty widget -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com