Would like to point out this method, which measures text, and stops as soon as measured-so-far text width exceeds a supplied limit:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/graphics/Paint.html#breakText(java.lang.CharSequence, int, int, boolean, float, float[])

Use this instead of measureText, to avoid calculating width for the same text over and over again (from current position to the end of the string).

-- Kostya