Well, when /do/ PendingIntents match? All I can say is that calling
PendingActivity.getActivity() created a new PendingIntent each time I
called it (I checked the OID in the debugger), and in this new object,
I always store a new Intent object.

As Guillaume suggested, I solved the problem by calling getActivity()
like this:

private static int requestCode;
pi = PendingIntent.getActivity(context, requestCode++, intent, 0)

and now everything works as expected. As for the intent itself, I
instantiated it using FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK and
FLAG_ACTIVITY_SINGLE_TOP.