I guess you can say any particular widget is not necessary because the
functionally can be done in a different way.  But UI designers don't
take "the API doesn't do that" as a reason for changing the design.

There are lots of posts in this forum with developers asking for
horizontal scrolling and horizontal list views.  It's a natural UI
design element for some kinds of lists. It behaves somewhat like a
drop down list (in that is is expandable) without obscuring the other
widgets on the screen.  The user can drag it (scroll) back and forth.

I just completed an app for a client that is on the market which makes
heavy use of horizontal list views.  This was done with Gallery but
the drawbacks are as noted above.  Gallery doesn't quite act like a
list because the focus is always centered.