I did some digging around this a while back and Mark is on the money, it'll
take a big chunk of time. But I would agree there are plenty of uses for things
like horizontal lists, in fact there's a very prominent one in the core SMS app
which allows you to choose a word from a list of predictions. So in answer to
the question, perhaps you can make use of the code for that to give you a head
start, found in:

  CandidateView.java

This doesn't extend ListView, or BaseAdapterView but simply View.

I had to slightly modify ListView and ended up having to jump through many
hoops to make a small change, I'm finishing up an app which has very styled
user interface elements and I've found the SDK makes creating custom components
very easy, but extending existing components is very hard because it is
understandably restrictive. This is quite often than not to do with ListView
because it has so much useful functionality baked in to support adapters,
states, touch, keyboard and trackball input that is just frustrating to
re-implement. It's a problem because we want to be creating more expressive UIs
where it improves on the standard, right now that usually means spending an
great deal of time studying the source code and seeing if it can be achieved
through composition or existing methods (sometimes over-complicating the view
hierarchy) and more often copying the entire source code for one (often two)
base classes so that you can modify a key private field and not lose out on
performance.

The easy answer is to just stick to the basics UIs we're used to seeing, but I
really hope things get a bit more flexible so that more people can creative
compelling-looking apps that don't just look like they've been put together in
a drag and drop GUI form builder.

Regards,
Richard