(Ignore the previous garbage post; it posted while I was typing; who
knows why. Mouse was nowhere near the Send button).

I would recommend storing the date+time in milliseconds as a single
field, just as Java's Date class does.

This makes sorting work 100% properly -- a benefit I forgot to mention
in my previous message.

My previous message also said "seconds since 1 January 1970", when it
should have said "milliseconds". That is, it's counting seconds, in a
fixed-point format with millisecond resolution.

If you need femptosecond resolution, add that as an additional
field. :=)