Pedro,

A normal is a unit vector (length == 1) that is perpendicular to the surface. Normals are used for shading, so don't worry about them too much for now.

Texture coordinates, as was already pointed out here, are in 2D space, i.e. two coordinates. The reason is that textures are 2-dimensional, and texture coordinates specify which point within the texture should be mapped to a particular vertex in 3D space.

Imagine that the texture is a stretchable, initially square, piece of fabric. Each UV coordinate represents a point within that square.

For each vertex, the point within the texture specified for that vertex by UV coordinates is "glued" to the vertex. Then the texture is allowed to stretch between vertexes.

What sort of texture coordinates you generate is entirely up to you.

A simple way to texture map a sphere is to wrap the texture into a vertical cylinder around the sphere, then pull the top and bottom towards the sphere, so you have singularities at the top and bottom of the sphere.

If you generate your sphere as a bunch of horizontal bands, each having equal angular size, and further subdivided around into equal patches, then you can your use loop variables (band / patch index) to compute UV coordinates. Just remember that UV are 0 to 1 (unless you want tiling).

-- Kostya