I did make a blog entry on the toast customisation subject :
http://androidblogger.blogspot.com/2009/10/tutorial-how-to-customize-your-toasts.html
So you can modify the look of the toast !

But I do agree with you that the toast is not fulfilling all of our
needs, I also though about reimplementing something like a toast.
Actually the bigger issue I have with the current toast is that you
can't control acurately the amount of time it is shown, and you can't
discard them.

I used them in my "Word Prospector" game to give feedback to the
player when they are doing right or wrong, and if the player tends to
play very fast, the toasts accumulate, and are shown out of the
correct context : ie the feedback is not fired for the latest player
action. They can even be fired when the player is no more in the game.

Emmanuel / Alocaly
http://androidblogger.blogspot.com
http://www.alocaly.com