Activities inside TabAcitivity are not "true" acitivities, and so have
some limitations that I noticed.
And of course, no documentation about that:
* you can't bind to a service, onServiceConnected will never be
called.
* window features (only available in the TabActivity).
* you can't use most of the manifest properties such as the launch
flags, and so you can not send intents to an activity inside a tab
even in singleTop launch mode, a new activity in full screen will be
launched if you try.
There must be some other limitations, I don't tested all.

What I tried and is working:
* Life cycle methods
* Menu methods (call super each time when overriding panel menu
methods if you want to mix menu items with TabActivity).
* startActivity methods.