The HTC Vox, which shares the same Wifi Chipset as the G1 (Along with
UMA Support) can perform wpa authentication.  Let's keep hope alive.

 http://www.mikechannon.net/PDF%20Manuals/HTC%20VOX%20Service%20Manual.pdf

  WiFi
   Chipset: TNETW1251
   Internal WLAN antenna
   IEEE 802.11b/g
   Date rate auto fallback for extended range
   ELP mode
   Security 802.11i and AES
       WPA/WPA 2 authentication – WEP (64 & 128bit), PSK, EAP-TLS,
PEAP, LEAP
       Signaling interfaces between the terminal device and the
servers: mutually authenticated and
       encrypted utilizing TLS (RFC 2246) with RC4 encryption with
SGA1 used as the message integrity
       check