I'm trying to gasp viewstubs but I feel I'm missing something.

As I understand, a viewstub only exists in a hierarchy until inflated
or until made visible. After that is replaced by its referenced
layout. This behaviour makes impossible to reinflate a inflated
viewstub. Is this correct?

The behaviour I was looking for was to have several buttons that would
open diferente viewstubs. When I click a button it would deflate the
previous layout and inflate the new one but this only works the first
time... After that the viewstub is gone...