I want to set the background of an appwidget at runtime with a
dynamically generated image (skin) (which must fill the entire space
of the widget).

Approach 1:
Use an ImageView and remoteViews.setImageViewUri()
Problem:
For the image to fit and look properly I need to know the exact pixel
size of the widget and I have not found a way to do that.
The minWidth/Height of the widget does not help. The space taken by
the cells also varies from Android version to version e.g. comparing
2.1 (480x678) with 2.3 (480x633) for 4x4 cells on WVGA. And this is
only the default Home app. LauncherPro, ADW etc. have different status
bar heights etc. Also the image get's really big which slows down the
system, lags, is prone to crashes in low mem situation.

Approach 2:
Use a NinePatch image which adjusts to whatever size the widget has.
Problem:
I couldn't find a way to set a NinePatch image. This only works with
resources which are inside the apk. Not with dynamically created
files.

Any suggestions would be welcome.