In fact since the APIs for this have been in the platform since 1.6, by the
simple act of saying you are targeting 1.6 or later (with
android:targetSdkVersion="4" or larger), you are telling the platform you
know about different screen sizes and will get the full available space.
 You already see this today on the Samsung Tab, and if you set up a larger
screen in the emulator.

The best way to prepare for tablets is to do what is already there: say you
support larger screens, and ensure you do work on them.

The only thing that is really different is xlarge screens.  Those were
introduced in 2.3.  Prior to that, we never really defined what the maximum
size of a "large" screen is, so the cut-off points between these is now more
formalized.  Also because we never defined the limit for large, it is
unlikely that we will do any kind of "compatibility" for apps that say they
support large but don't support xlarge.  That is, no postage stamp in the
middle like we did for apps targeting prior to 1.6 that only ever thought
about 480x320 mdpi screens.  Once you are in the "I know screens are more
than 480x320" world, you need to be sure you do something reasonable for any
screen larger than the minimum size class you have said you support.