It's identical code - identical URL, no SSL, using a domain name.  In
the emulator I very rarely get a socket timeout - but that's because
I've set a pretty aggressive 5 second timeout - which periodically the
target website (or our intervening network path) fails to meet - this
is to be expected, but other than that it never errors out in the
emulator.  If it worked this well on the actually phone I'd be
perfectly happy.

-josh