Errr, no. I should have thought a bit more before I posted that.
I was reasoning that if the problem occurs via radio, and wifi (in two
separate locations) then the server seems a possible cause. There are only
three common elements across each case: the phone, your app and the server.
Since you say that you have written other applications that have performed
network operations on the phone without problems, that leaves the server as
most suspect element (based on the information to hand - as I see it).

Saying it might be related to proxying was clearly irrelevant.
Tom.