I just spent a minute knocking out a test case over a cup of tea. Seems to
work fine for me on WIFI, GPRS, and 3G.
Tom.

void testConnection() {
TextView view = (TextView) findViewById(R.id.message);
HttpURLConnection conn = null;
    try {
     URL url = new URL("
http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GOOG+T&f=sl1c1p2";);
        conn = (HttpURLConnection) url.openConnection();
        conn.setRequestMethod("GET");
        conn.connect();
        Reader reader = new InputStreamReader( conn.getInputStream() );
        for (int c = reader.read(); c >= 0; c = reader.read())
writer.write(c);
        view.setText(writer.toString());
    } catch (IOException e) {
     Log.e("test", "connection test failed", e);
    } finally {
     if (conn != null) conn.disconnect();
    }
}