TCP/IP is packet based, so the CPU is not required until a packet arrives.
And the radio is necessarily always on. So maintaining such a connection,
though by no means free, is not as costly as one might at first think.
My preference would be for an web service that allowed 3rd party apps to
'share' the update mechanism already used in Google's applications. There
are lots of difficulties in terms of the scale of that service (something
that Google can obviously accommodate already) but also issues like
protecting against abuse of the service by buggy or malicious apps.

It does however present an extremely phone-power efficient solution since
'push' system is already running on almost all phones (if not all).

Tom.