> If I open a datagram socket to listen on a particular UDP port and
> leave it open but don't send anything, does that keep the radio on?
>
> If a listening socket doesn't keep the radio on, then an application
> could send a couple packets to register it's IP and port and then shut
> up and wait for incoming requests.
>
> Thoughts?

I doubt there's a unique IP address per phone on a carrier data network --
it feels like too many addresses would be needed. It's probably NATted or
the equivalent. Hence, I'm not convinced a phone can serve as a server
(TCP or UDP) without help, a la P2P NAT-traversal systems.

But, then again, I've certainly been wrong before...

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com