I've just finished reading the preliminary documentation for in-app
billing.

If I've understood correctly, as part of the billing request you can
supply:

* ITEM_ID which is limited to a small number of pre-registered product
ids
* DEVELOPER_PAYLOAD unconstrained - but with caveats?

and these are the only two pieces of data you can send to identify the
product being purchased. But even the DEVELOPER_PAYLOAD appears to be
off-limits; the documentation contains the following (rather cryptic)
advice:

 We recommend that you do not use this field to send data or content.

I take this to mean product data/content, but that's no more than a
guess, and if that's the correct interpretation, why? The result seems
to be that you can't sell individuated items.

I was hoping to use the in-app billing system to allow purchases of
dynamically generated designs from my forthcoming Metaglow
application, but this doesn't appear to be possible without operating
some sort of 'credits purchase' system which I think would provide a
very poor user experience and which isn't what I want to give users.

Can anyone shed light on this?