Thanks for the clarification.

I do wish the licensing/in-app-payments data could be accessed in a more
standardized way to make all this easier.

What I would like to be able to do is query some API to find out all the
purchases (whether for apps or in-app-payments) for any of my products. I
can understand why you don't want an app querying for other apps from other
publishers, but what about for other apps from the same publisher?

This would also be a simple way to share in-app purchases across all of my
apps (something I see which is not allowed in the new in-app system). One
application of this might be a "donate" in-app purchase which could, say,
remove ads (whoops!) from all apps from the developer.

It would also be a simpler way to facilitate migration from the cumbersome
Lite/Pro model to in-app unlocking (which feels neater, though is not
perfect as mentioned earlier).