While you are not crazy to think *null* might mean something useful, let me
point out the line of reasoning you need to follow:

Exactly what namespace did you expect *null* to give you? Why do you hold
the opinion that *null* should give you this namespace?

And exactly what namespace are you calling the "null-Namespace"?

If you want the same namespace that results when you don't specify a
namespace, for example the namespace in the only element in this trivial
document: <trivialDocument/>
Then what you want is java.xml.XMLConstants.NULL_NS_URI. You supply this to
the startTag() method.

If you want the namespace is that currently associated with no prefix (what
the standard calls the "default namespace"), you use a prefix of "" and the
namespace of whatever namespace you want that prefix to be used, in a call
to setPrefix(), then call startTag() using the exact same namespace.

Where does *null* fit in here? The XML standards are not written assuming
that programming languages even *have* a concept of *null*. I know of no
context in any language or API in which *null* is a valid URI.

I hope that makes it both clear, and seem less strange.